Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Weekly newspapers into the breach?

A former editor of mine (I almost wrote 'an old editor' but then neither Doug nor I want to get in a discussion of our ages or how long it's been since we worked together) writes about young people and newspapers. What I find most interesting is his reference to the potential for weekly newspapers to become something more than, well, weekly, if they embrace the 21st Century. This may mean more than just publishing a web edition, but in using those tools to encourage more interaction and involvement. People are looking to talk to and with others they may trust. Chances are someone in Honea Path, South Carolina, trusts their weekly newspaper editor more than they do the editor of the bigger dailies in Anderson and Greenville, for example. (Disclosure: I once worked for The Greenville News). Why not build on that trust?

1 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Aw, heck. Call me "old." Just don't call me late for dinner.

Good to see you online. And having had two kids, I love your tag line at top. Mine, fortunately or not, are both boys and now out of the house (for the mmost part), so in my case the mortification is just disgust on their part.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home