Thursday, February 23, 2006

Addicted to Crunchy Cons

I've yet to read Rod Dreher's book, "Crunchy Cons," but his treatise on how conservatives can be anti-sprawl, anti-consumerist and still be pro-life and pro-family has already spawned a fascinating debate at National Review Online. Check it out here.

I will read it soon, though, and am looking forward to it. One early thought: there's a reason God admonishes us against envy and greed, for He knows that that the people we envy and the things that we covet will not bring us happiness. It is a conservative virtue to think that way, and fully compatible with Dreher's philosophy.

I just hope I don't have to go shop at Whole Foods. I always feel so unworthy every time I go there. I joke with She Who Sighs that every time I visit there, I want to walk up to the customer service counter and ask for a carton of Marlboros, a big bag of Cheese Puffs and a 12-pack of Mountain Dew, just to get a look on their faces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home